Effective Display Advertising Techniques That Get Results
Display advertising has come a long way since the first static banner ad was published on the HotWired magazine website back in 1994. In fact, total global digital ad spend is soon expected to surpass $220 billion. Best of all, businesses like yours can now choose from a wide variety of rich media ads that deliver targeted experiences. This can significantly extend your reach to attract potential customers who are most likely to convert.
However, you must remember that online users are exposed to literally thousands of display ads every day, leading to so-called “banner blindness” (ignoring the banners on a page and focusing their attention exclusively on the content). That’s why it’s essential to have your display ads stand out from the crowd (without being too intrusive, of course!).
Therefore, you’ll want to use different types of visually engaging display advertising to help reach your objectives. This will allow you to optimize your click-through rates and make the best use of your online advertising dollar. An experienced display advertising agency can help you achieve this goal by providing you with the latest and most innovative display advertising techniques available.
At this point you may be asking yourself, “How can I best utilize display advertising in my overall digital marketing strategy?” When combined with other marketing initiatives, display advertising can help you reach potential customers at all levels of their buying journey.
That’s why we’ve created this handy guide to display advertising to provide you all the essential information on how display advertising works and why it’s essential for your business to develop a strong display advertising strategy. Sections in our comprehensive display advertising guide include “What is Display Advertising?”, “The Benefits of Display Advertising,” “How Display Advertising Works,” and “Using Display Advertising with Google to Build Brand Awareness.”
What is Display Advertising?
Display advertising is simply the process of promoting your product or service through visual ads displayed on websites, social media channels, and apps. Effective display ads will direct potential customers to your website or social media pages in a very cost-effective manner. Most forms of display advertising encourage a targeted audience to take an action, whether that involves purchasing a product or service, or building brand awareness. A display ad can be filtered to visitors based on many parameters such as geographical, demographic, and behavioral, among many others.
Display ads are also used quite effectively in retargeting campaigns. The goal of retargeting is to use display advertising to target users who have previously visited your website without buying anything. The ads are designed to provide enticements to these potential customers to return to your website and reconsider purchasing your products or services.
Display ads can be presented in a multitude of different formats and sizes depending on your overall objectives. By the way, Google itself has identified 300 x 250 pixels (medium rectangle) as the top performing size for display advertising. Rich media ads are a type of display ad that offer advanced features such as audio, video, expansion, or polling for a more engaging experience that increases the potential for you to effectively drive conversions.
Just a sample of the types of display advertising include:
- Standard Banner Ads: Although standard banner ads (AKA static banner ads) are still extremely popular, their lack of media or moving elements serves as a drawback.
- Animated Ads: A creative and colorful animated banner ad can often be a notch above an ordinary static banner ad when it comes combating “banner blindness” and capturing the attention of your target audience. Animated ads typically feature some lighthearted humor as a good way to catch the attention of the online visitor.
- Interactive Ads: This popular type of display advertising contain embedded features that allow your target audience to interact with your product or service in creative ways.
- Video Ads: One of the most fastest growing segments of display advertising, video ads offer an interactive experience for users and a host of possibilities for advertisers. In fact, recent studies suggest that people spend 33% of their time online engaging with some form of video content.
- Expandable Ads: These type of rich media ads can be expanded beyond the original size of the ad unit.
- Lightbox Ads: These expandable ads provide an immersive experience that gives them a full-screen advertising experience.
- 360-Degree Video Ads: Offers a great opportunity for your target audience to engage with your content.
- Interstitial Ads: These ads appear before you can access a website’s landing page. However, many users find these so-called “pop-up ads” frustrating since they prevent you from opening a website before closing the ad.
The Benefits of Display Advertising
As an essential part of your overall digital marketing strategy, display advertising offer numerous benefits, including:
- Reach New Prospects
- Increase Build Awareness
- Convey Your Message Quickly
- Reach Customers at Every Stage of the Buying Funnel
- Promote a New Product or Service
- Increase Your Traffic to a Specific Landing Page
- Allow for the Tracking and Monitoring of Your Ad Engagement
- Deliver Important News About Your Business
- Increase ROI with a Retargeting Campaign
How Display Advertising Works
In display advertising, you’re simply bidding for placement in highly specified areas such as websites, social media, and apps. You can target your display ads based on age, gender, location, relevant interests, language, search history, and more. In addition, you can exclude your ads from sites you don’t want to be associated with for any specific display advertising campaign.
Here are some tips for creating effective display advertising campaigns that engage your audience and help increase your profitability:
- Set your display advertising campaign goals. What do you want your display ads to achieve? You won’t be able to track performance without knowing what you want your display campaign to achieve.
- Use a simple design that gets your point across with compelling content in as few words as possible to get your message across that speaks directly to the viewer and addresses their needs. Do not make the mistake of overloading the ad with text that won’t be read.
- Make sure to create your ad with easy-to-read type and high-resolution images.
- Always include a strong call to action (CTA) with persuasive language and a sense of urgency. Your CTA is the most important part of your display ad and will impact your click-through rate for better or worse. Only use one call to action to avoid any confusion and drive home your message.
- Create a short but descriptive and mobile-friendly landing page that serves a single purpose with one CTA.
- Be sure to always track and monitor your ad engagement so you can determine the success of your ad campaign. Key metrics include click-through rate, pages views/impressions, and cost per mille/thousand (CPM).
- Experiment with different formats to discover the best ads to meet your objectives. Use A/B testing with two variants of the same ad to find out which one is more effective.
- Do not rely solely on display advertising. Use multiple marketing strategies that also include search engine optimization (SEO), pay-per-click (PPC) and social media, among many others.
Using Display Advertising with Google to Build Brand Awareness
What is a benefit of display advertising with Google to build brand awareness? Believe it or not, Google’s Display Ad Network reaches a mind-blowing 90% of global Internet users. According to Google, “the Google Display Network is used by thousands of advertisers to reach users on hundreds of thousands of websites and apps across all publisher categories, from large, well-known sites to niche sites and audiences.”
Because of its significant global coverage, the Google Display Network can place your ads alongside the most relevant content, enabling you to immediately connect with the most engaged audience. In addition, Google makes the entire process easy by offering you access to its targeting data and techniques so you can measure the effectiveness of your display advertising campaign.
Consult with Display Advertising Experts to Maximize Your Efforts
The bottom line is that if you want your business to achieve success in digital marketing, then you must tap into the power of display advertising. The chances are that many of your competitors have already taken steps to try to increase their edge when it comes to display advertising. That’s why you need to maximize your display advertising efforts and stay ahead of the competition by implementing all the latest and most innovative display advertising techniques!
A comprehensive online display advertising strategy can achieve amazing long-term results if implemented correctly. However, it’s important to remember that display advertising continues to evolve and change at a rapid pace. That’s why it’s important to enlist the aid of an experienced display advertising company that offers comprehensive display advertising services, along with in-depth knowledge of all the latest and best display advertising techniques.
Let's Get Started
Contact ROAR! Internet Marketing today to schedule a zero-obligation consultation and find out more about our results-driven solutions for display advertising and how you can knock out the competition. We’ll help you take your display advertising strategy to the next level!