Link Building Strategies That Boost Your Search Engine Presence
In addition to significantly increasing your website ranking in search engine results, link building can help enhance your brand awareness, among many other benefits. That’s why the overall search engine optimization (SEO) strategy of your business needs to incorporate an effective link building campaign. According to Google, “In general, webmasters can improve the rank of their sites by increasing the number of high-quality sites that link to their pages.”
The key thing to remember from the above Google quote is the use of the phrase “high-quality sites.” Effective link building is about much more than just adding an excessive number of links from low-ranking sites to your website. This type of lackluster and scattershot approach to link building is practically worthless and will never boost your search engine rankings. In other words, not all links are counted equally by the search engines.
Instead, you’ll need to develop a much more strategic SEO link building approach that centers around building backlinks from trusted and authoritative sites that are closely related in subject matter to your website. Note that successful and super effective link building takes both time and patience to implement correctly. That’s why we’ve created this handy guide to serve as a comprehensive guide to effective link-building techniques that will help you transform your search engine optimization strategy.
What is Link Building?
Link building involves implementing tried and true strategies to increase the number and quality of inbound links (aka “backlinks”) to your website from external sites. This will in turn serve to improve your visibility on major search engines like Google and Bing, among others. Since the goal of these search engines is to provide their users with the most relevant results, having quality links from a well-regarded website to your site helps indicate your domain’s overall authoritative strength.
For example, Google looks at the quality of backlinks to establish PageRank (PR), the foundation of the search engine’s algorithm, which allows them to rank the importance of web pages in their search engine results. Although Google’s algorithm has evolved significantly over the years, backlinks remain an essential factor for how PR is calculated.
Note that when it comes to effective SEO link building, a website’s authority and subject material related to your website make a huge difference. According to Google, “quantity, quality, and relevance of links count toward your rating.” In addition to having relevant content, these search engines look at how many reputable websites link to your page. So, in essence they are seeking link quality, rather than link quantity.
Gone are the days of “black hat” style link building farms that would place a whole slew of backlinks to websites from very low-quality websites. That’s also true of any other type of artificial link-building methods created in the past solely to spam search engines and manipulate search engine rankings. According to Google, “Any links intended to manipulate a site’s ranking in Google search results may be considered part of a link scheme.”
Worst of all, these black hat link building techniques could get your website banned from search engines entirely. Remember, there are no shortcuts to creating an effective link-building strategy!
How to Do Link Building the Right Way
Before you embark on a comprehensive link-building strategy, make sure your website features compelling, high-quality and original content. In fact, a content-rich website is the key to unlocking amazing backlinks. Acquiring links that you didn’t ask for is the perfect sign that you’ve produced some great, link-worthy content on your website.
According to Google, “The best way to get other sites to create high-quality, relevant links to yours is to create unique, relevant content that can naturally gain popularity in the Internet community. Creating good content pays off: Links are usually editorial votes given by choice, and the more useful content you have, the greater the chances someone else will find that content valuable to their readers and link to it.”
So-called white hat SEO link building strategies focus on producing both high-quality and relevant links to your website. These effective link-building tactics are those that achieve the goal of:
- Adding Value to End Users
- Producing Effective Results That Can be Sustained for a Long Time
- Abiding by the Search Engine’s Term of Service
Characteristics of a strong backlink include trustworthiness, authoritativeness and relevance to your website in terms of content. Therefore, focus on building links from only those specific websites that will help improve your search engine rankings. Some of the most effective link building strategies include:
- Reach Out to Authoritative Resource Pages that Match Your Website – Resource pages are those that feature curated relevant lists of links to external websites. Research to discover those resource pages relevant to your industry and contact the webmasters, explaining how a link to your website will make their site better.
- Use Link Building Outreach and Contact Relevant Journalists, Bloggers and Influencers – Tell them to check out all the great content on your website that would be relevant to their readers. Although time consuming, this type of link building strategy can ultimately pay off when executed properly.
- Create a Compelling Chart or Infographic – Coming up with an original infographic or chart has time and time again proven to be a winning link building strategy to help boost SEO. Once you create your infographic, you can promote it on social media and share it with bloggers and influencers for maximum exposure.
- Publish Interesting and Highly Shareable List Posts – Also known as “best of lists” and “listicles,” list posts that cover an interesting subject in your industry must be original and easy to read. They can be a very effective form of link building if done creatively and thoughtfully.
- Post Original Research and Data Pertaining to Your Industry – Staying up to date on the latest developments in your industry can pay off if you can provide some great statistics and data to share on your website. This type of leading-edge information is often highly linkable.
- Produce a Comprehensive Guide Related to a Given Topic – A great way to enhance your link building strategy is to produce the most definitive guide to a specific topic important to your industry and upload it to your website.
- Add Interesting Case Studies to Your Website – Case studies serve as an ideal method of creating a compelling story centered around your customers, products and/or services. They can also become landing pages to bring additional targeted traffic to your website. Make sure to announce your case study on social media, as well as reach out to bloggers and influencers in your industry.
- Get Interviewed on Podcasts and Have the Host Website Link to Your Site – Being a guest on a popular podcast can be an effective method of earning quality links to your website. It is also a great way to create more publicity for your business.
- Create a Useful Tool in Your Niche That Others Will Want to Share – Develop a useful tool or widget that’s available only on your website. Get the word out on how this tool is an important resource for your customers.
- Add a Blog to Your Site and Update It Regularly with Useful Information – This is not only the easiest way to add new content to your website, but also a highly effective link building method. Make sure your content is both topical and compelling, so you will build up a loyal readership. Also, keep the blog updated regularly.
- Utilize Broken Link Building – One other untraditional but effective link-building strategy is to find broken external links on other websites related to yours and reach out to the webmasters – asking them to redirect the link to your website as a solid replacement to the broken link.
Why is Link Building Important?
Since link building is one of the most crucial ranking factors for Google, a solid link building strategy will help your business tremendously in terms of becoming much more visible to potential customers online. The many benefits of link building to your business include:
- Quality backlinks give your site more credibility.
- Search engines use links to measure the authority of your site.
- Links will bring more quality traffic to your website.
- Better backlinks mean you’ll appear higher in search results, allowing you to reach more potential customers and sell more products or services.
- Link building will help you get a higher domain rating.
- Strategic link building can enable your business to stand out as an authoritative voice within your specific industry and establish you as a trusted brand.
- Link-building outreach can create long-term relationships with key influencers in your industry.
Consult with Link-Building Experts to Maximize Your Efforts
A comprehensive link-building strategy can achieve incredible long-term results if implemented correctly. That’s why it’s important to enlist the aid of a link-building agency that offers comprehensive link-building services and in-depth knowledge of all the latest and best link-building techniques.
Let's Get Started
Contact ROAR! Internet Marketing today to schedule a zero-obligation consultation and find out more about our results-driven solutions from our link-building company that will transform your digital marketing strategies!